Old Charm Blog
Posted on July 19, 2013 by Administrator
• Henry VIII liked to think he was an self taught inventor and built a 2-story communal lavatory with 14 seats at Hampton Court
• It is said, although he was a very large man, he had a very high pitched voice
• He loved to dress up in costume and “was especially fond of bursting in upon Queen Katherine of Aragon and took boyish delight in these disguisings. Katherine seemingly never tired of feigning astonishment that it was her husband who had surprised her” He tried this unsuccessfully later with his 4th wife, Anne of Cleves who did not have the same reaction as her predecessor and he came out declaring “I like her not!”
• He was a big gambler and in 2 years it was recorded he lost £3250 on cards which by today’s standards was a huge amount
• Henry had a remarkable memory and could remember the names of every servant employed in all the royal households
• In an age where few people bathed regularly, Henry was ahead of his time as he was fastidious and obsessed with cleaning due to his fear of germs
• By the end of his life, his waistline measured 4 and a half feet around and there were mechanical devices made to get him in and out of bed.. and on and off of his horse!
Posted on July 11, 2013 by Administrator
Oak is the predominant timber used by Old Charm although elm, walnut, ash and various other knotty woods also feature in the ranges, either for aesthetic or functional purposes.
Oak is a remarkable and durable wood and its hard, open grain makes it ideal for the wear and tear of domestic use and also for delicate carving. At Old Charm we use the superior white oak which is more durable, less porous, finer textured and has a more useable colour than its cousin the red oak, especially with some of our lighter finishes, such as Chatsworth which w
as launched last autumn.
Posted on May 21, 2013 by Elly Cornish
Audio visual and home entertainment in general is an area that Wood Bros invests much time and design research. Old Charm offers a variety of cabinets designed for storage and the display of audio visual equipment such as the OC 2633 Corner TV Base (pictured).
This year we have noticed a marked trend for corner television cabinets which is probably due to their practical space-saving shape and attractive designs.
Further ‘corner shapes’ have since been introduced, such as the Chatsworth CT2884 TV Base featuring a classic design featuring two adjustable shelves and two storage cupboards.
Posted on May 13, 2013 by Elly Cornish
Functionality and design go hand in hand with Old Charm furniture. Storage
is a pre-requisite with many people today and is expected from many designs including occasional, home office, and even dining furniture.
A good example is the Buckingham sideboard (OC2826) that contains a practical cutlery drawer, lined with green baize, behind a decoratively carved drawer front. From the Hertford collection is simply styled bookcase, the HE6031, which features a clever hinged magazine rack.
Within the occasional offer there are many pieces that also provide a combination of useful hidden storage and display space, spanning all collections.
Posted on May 2, 2013 by Elly Cornish
Make the most of Old Charm's Spring Promotion and win some free wine!
Available on all Old Charm and Chatsworth collections, the offer ends on June 16th 2013.
Posted on April 25, 2013 by Elly Cornish
So often today space comes at a premium, which is why Old Charm has included in its occasional collection a variety of flexible, space saving designs. From dainty pedestal cabinets to clever corner units, from parcel shelves to hidden drawers, Old Charm manages to combine elegant lines with practical considerations. Watch this space for more occasional designs later in the year!
Posted on April 19, 2013 by Elly Cornish
Due to popular demand, we have extended the Chatsworth collection by two pieces.
Due in store later this year will be the new Writing Desk (CT2936) and the new extending Dining Table (CT2935)
Both are in the mellow flaxen finish and character oak which was launched last year.
Posted on March 13, 2013 by Victoria-Hallam
After the great response to our last Collectors E-newsletter, we decided to interview our lucky competition winner, Mrs Deradour from Great Missenden. Here’s what we asked and what she said:
Q - What pieces of Old Charm have you already got in your house?
A – I have a corner TV unit and a Display case and soon my prize of a Lamp table. My next purchase may be the Writing Desk or Ladies Bureau..
Q - Have you seen our new for 2012 distressed Heritage finish? What do you think of it?
A – I have not seen any pieces in the new finish but the colour looks nice and mellow
Q – What else would you like to see in the range?
A – The range is quite substantial, I need a bigger house to fit all the pieces I would like!
Q - Would Old Charm accessories be of interest to you? Classic style mirrors, candlesticks, pictures, cushions?
A – Old Charm accessories may be of interest. Perhaps all the props used in a photoshoot could be available?
Q - Any comments on our website/ E-newsletter/your local stockist?
A - Obviously the E newsletter is great as I won a prize! Many thanks once again for awarding me a prize, I still can't believe I won!
Congratulations Mrs Deradour!
Posted on March 5, 2013 by Administrator
Furniture with the FREE wine we are offering this Spring?
With all orders of Old Charm over £999 we are
giving away a selection
of quality wines and champagnes, from around the world, specially selected and delivered to your door
by Majestic Wine.
The more furniture you buy, the more wine you receive - up to 24 bottles could be yours.
Majestic Wine reserved the right to change any of the wines advertised, if an availability issue arises. The replacement will be one of the same quality of wine.
It is a tiered scheme with the retail price brackets as follows:
6 Bottles of either red, white or a mixed 1/2 case
When you purchase Old Charm Furniture to the value of £999 to £1999
Wines include: Villa Maria Sauvignon Blanc, Santa Rita 120 Viogner, Marces Caceres Blanco , Alamos Malbec, Les Galets Cote Du Rhone, Vina Eguia Reserva
12 Bottles of either red, white or a mixed case , Or 6 bottles of premium wine in a mixed 1/2 case
When you purchase Old Charm Furniture to the value of £2000 to £2999
Some of the wines : Ragged Point Sauvignon, Santa Rita 120 Viogner, Aspen Chardonnay, Ch Mont Milan Corbieres, Aspen Shiraz, Les Galets Cote Du Rhone, Valpolicella Casetta, Pouilly Fumee Les Cascadelles
18 Bottles of a mixed selection Or 6 Bottles of House Champagne Or 2 bottles of Premium Champagne.
When you purchase Old Charm Furniture to the value of £3000 to £3999
Some of the wines: Nicolas FeuillatteChampagne, Ruinart Blanc De Blanc , Mountain View Chardonnay, Ch Mont Milan Corbieres
24 Bottles of a mixed selection Or 12 bottles of Premium wine in a mixed case
Or 6 bottles of Champagne in a mixed 1/2 case
When you purchase Old Charm Furniture to the value of £4000 plus
Some of the wines: Laurent Perrier Champagne, Valpolicella Casetta, Poully Fumee Les Cascadelles, Ragged Point Sauvignon, Aspen Chardonnay, Ch Mont Milan Corbieres
Terms & Conditions details:
- This offer does not apply to any clearance merchandise whether in a retail store or the Wood Bros factory outlet.
- This promotion applies to the Old Charm collection and Chatsworth collection only.
- The qualifying order needs to have the Customers name, address and telephone number for Majestic Wine to contact the customer for delivery.
- The Wine Selection needs to be chosen and clearly marked at point of sale and written on the order.
- The Wine will be delivered to the customer approximately six weeks after the order is received at the Sales Office.
- Chatsworth’s unique colour ‘flaxen’ is not available on Old Charm and vice versa.
- This offer cannot be used in conjunction with any other promotion or on-going offer.
- This offer is only available through retail outlets, our website and orders that are distributed through retail outlets.
- No alternative piece of furniture can be offered as an alternative to the free wine.
- No financial alternative can be offered in place of this offer.
- Majestic reserve the right to amend the wine if an availability issue arises. All replacements will be of the same quality of wine.
- All qualifying orders to be received by the Sales Office by Monday 3rd June 2013.
Posted on February 26, 2013 by Administrator
The English Home magazine featured us in their ‘Heritage’ style series last month! ‘Celebrating the Essence of English style’
Using selected manufacturers’ products from furniture, upholstery to stone flooring and paint colours they show how you can create an interior look that is full of character and is very patriotic and current.
“The English classic style is highly traditional and draws on the heritage of medieval and Tudor times, combining the grandeur of carved wood, forged iron and old stone with sumptuous fabrics and rich colours” says Katherine Sorrell “The Tudor home was bare by our standards, but enlivened by rich fabrics and elaborate, dark wood furniture. Impossible to fully recreate..it is suitable as a starting point for interior inspiration. By including such period details such as wall hangings and panelling, embroidery and tapestry, carving and tassels, it is possible to create a look that is dramatic, interesting yet inviting, warm and sumptuously comfortable” The English Home Magazine January 2013 Issue