Old Charm Blog
Posted on August 30, 2013 by Administrator
This autumn we are giving you, the consumer, the opportunity to receive a free piece of Old Charm occasional furniture. As the value of your original purchase increases so does the selection choice of the occasional furniture.
- Spend £999 at shop price & receive a 2217 wine table foc
- Spend £1399 & choose from a 2217 wine table, a 2325 lamp table & a 2844 mirror foc
- Spend £1599 & choose from a 2217 wine table, a 2325 lamp table, a 2844 mirror, a 1582 ped cabinet & 2428 wine table foc
- Spend £1799 & choose from a 2217 wine table, a 2325 lamp table, a 2844 mirror, a 1582 ped cabinet, 2428 wine table, 2768 low corner unit & a 2187 Magazine Rack foc
- Spend £2249 & choose from a 2217 wine table, a 2325 lamp table, a 2844 mirror, a 1582 ped cabinet, 2428 wine table, 2768 low corner unit, a 2187 magazine Rack, 1494 Nest of tables & 2740 Butlers Wine Table foc
- Spend £2749 & choose from a 2217 wine table, a 2325 lamp table, a 2844 mirror, a 1582 ped cabinet, 2428 wine table, 2768 low corner unit, a 2187 magazine Rack, 1494 Nest of tables, 2740 Butlers Wine Table, a 2379 Canted Console Table & a 2792 Low Open bookcase foc
This promotion will run from on Monday 2nd September to Friday 22nd November 2013 inclusive.
- This promotion applies to the Old Charm collection only. (Excluding the Chatsworth, Hertford & Cotswold Collections).
- This offer cannot be used in conjunction with any other promotion or on-going offer.
- Only one free item can be selected per purchase order.
- The free item will be supplied in the same colour & finish as the other items on the order.
- All items on the qualifying order must be in one colour only.
- If an item is out of stock or unavailable an alternative must be selected. Our Sales Office will contact you on receipt of the order if this is the case.
- This offer is only available through retail outlets, our website and orders that are distributed through retail outlets.
- No alternative in lieu of the free item of furniture is available.
- This offer does not apply to any clearance merchandise whether in a retail store or the Wood Bros factory outlet.
- No financial alternative can be offered in place of this offer.
This post was posted in Uncategorized
Posted on July 29, 2013 by Elly Cornish
Traditional panelling on interior walls in the home has always been fashionable in creating a period or country look. Full length wooden panelling (sometimes called wainscoting) of walls was popular until around 1720 and then, after that, half height panelling up to dado rail was favoured as a protection against damp. (taken from Marianne Suhr and Roger Hunt in Old House Handbook)
Nowadays panelling is not so much used for covering up damp or uneven walls, although this can be a practical side benefit, but more for creating an elegant and established country house look. It is attractive for many rooms in the house, from hallways and bedrooms to studies, breakfast rooms and even bathrooms.
Today it is more likely to be painted mdf rather than character oak but a current yet vintage look is definitely guaranteed!
Note from Stylist: “When styling Old Charm I find the best hues to complement the warmth and character of the oak finishes are blues, greens, greys and stone in period tones such as those on offer by Farrow & Ball or Mylands.”
Posted on July 19, 2013 by Administrator
• Henry VIII liked to think he was an self taught inventor and built a 2-story communal lavatory with 14 seats at Hampton Court
• It is said, although he was a very large man, he had a very high pitched voice
• He loved to dress up in costume and “was especially fond of bursting in upon Queen Katherine of Aragon and took boyish delight in these disguisings. Katherine seemingly never tired of feigning astonishment that it was her husband who had surprised her” He tried this unsuccessfully later with his 4th wife, Anne of Cleves who did not have the same reaction as her predecessor and he came out declaring “I like her not!”
• He was a big gambler and in 2 years it was recorded he lost £3250 on cards which by today’s standards was a huge amount
• Henry had a remarkable memory and could remember the names of every servant employed in all the royal households
• In an age where few people bathed regularly, Henry was ahead of his time as he was fastidious and obsessed with cleaning due to his fear of germs
• By the end of his life, his waistline measured 4 and a half feet around and there were mechanical devices made to get him in and out of bed.. and on and off of his horse!
Posted on July 11, 2013 by Administrator
Oak is the predominant timber used by Old Charm although elm, walnut, ash and various other knotty woods also feature in the ranges, either for aesthetic or functional purposes.
Oak is a remarkable and durable wood and its hard, open grain makes it ideal for the wear and tear of domestic use and also for delicate carving. At Old Charm we use the superior white oak which is more durable, less porous, finer textured and has a more useable colour than its cousin the red oak, especially with some of our lighter finishes, such as Chatsworth which w
as launched last autumn.
Posted on May 21, 2013 by Elly Cornish
Audio visual and home entertainment in general is an area that Wood Bros invests much time and design research. Old Charm offers a variety of cabinets designed for storage and the display of audio visual equipment such as the OC 2633 Corner TV Base (pictured).
This year we have noticed a marked trend for corner television cabinets which is probably due to their practical space-saving shape and attractive designs.
Further ‘corner shapes’ have since been introduced, such as the Chatsworth CT2884 TV Base featuring a classic design featuring two adjustable shelves and two storage cupboards.
Posted on May 13, 2013 by Elly Cornish
Functionality and design go hand in hand with Old Charm furniture. Storage
is a pre-requisite with many people today and is expected from many designs including occasional, home office, and even dining furniture.
A good example is the Buckingham sideboard (OC2826) that contains a practical cutlery drawer, lined with green baize, behind a decoratively carved drawer front. From the Hertford collection is simply styled bookcase, the HE6031, which features a clever hinged magazine rack.
Within the occasional offer there are many pieces that also provide a combination of useful hidden storage and display space, spanning all collections.
Posted on May 2, 2013 by Elly Cornish
Make the most of Old Charm's Spring Promotion and win some free wine!
Available on all Old Charm and Chatsworth collections, the offer ends on June 16th 2013.
Posted on April 25, 2013 by Elly Cornish
So often today space comes at a premium, which is why Old Charm has included in its occasional collection a variety of flexible, space saving designs. From dainty pedestal cabinets to clever corner units, from parcel shelves to hidden drawers, Old Charm manages to combine elegant lines with practical considerations. Watch this space for more occasional designs later in the year!
Posted on April 19, 2013 by Elly Cornish
Due to popular demand, we have extended the Chatsworth collection by two pieces.
Due in store later this year will be the new Writing Desk (CT2936) and the new extending Dining Table (CT2935)
Both are in the mellow flaxen finish and character oak which was launched last year.
Posted on March 13, 2013 by Victoria-Hallam
After the great response to our last Collectors E-newsletter, we decided to interview our lucky competition winner, Mrs Deradour from Great Missenden. Here’s what we asked and what she said:
Q - What pieces of Old Charm have you already got in your house?
A – I have a corner TV unit and a Display case and soon my prize of a Lamp table. My next purchase may be the Writing Desk or Ladies Bureau..
Q - Have you seen our new for 2012 distressed Heritage finish? What do you think of it?
A – I have not seen any pieces in the new finish but the colour looks nice and mellow
Q – What else would you like to see in the range?
A – The range is quite substantial, I need a bigger house to fit all the pieces I would like!
Q - Would Old Charm accessories be of interest to you? Classic style mirrors, candlesticks, pictures, cushions?
A – Old Charm accessories may be of interest. Perhaps all the props used in a photoshoot could be available?
Q - Any comments on our website/ E-newsletter/your local stockist?
A - Obviously the E newsletter is great as I won a prize! Many thanks once again for awarding me a prize, I still can't believe I won!
Congratulations Mrs Deradour!